Romans Walk is built on the site of the former Caistor hospital, which itself evolved from an institution called the House of Industry, built in 1800 to improve the conditions of the poor. In 1836 the House of Industry became a workhouse and in 1866 a chapel was added to the growing complex of buildings. These became Caistor Hospital with the founding of the NHS in 1948. The hospital was finally closed in 1990.
The institutions on this site clearly played an important part in the lives of many local people for 190 years, and we want to recognise this with a permanent memorial. This will comprise the cross from the chapel roof re-erected, along with the building’s foundation stone, positioned to the front of Romans Walk. An information board has been and installed in readiness for the cross, written by local historian Alan Dennis, who has worked with Cannon Kirk on this important project.
For more information regarding new releases at Roman’s Walk call Olga Roberts on 01472 852212 or visit the the Roman’s Walk section of our website.
Olga Roberts (Cannon Kirk Homes) and Alan Dennis with the Caistor Hospital information panel